Hmmm, that sounds like the common conspiracy theory, like the 200 mpg
carburetor design that was held as a trade secret by an oil company (the
company varied with the theory) back in the '60s and '70s.

We know that these batteries are buyable on the market in standard over the
counter battery usage, and have found a good niche as a camera battery.  If
they were that good, why didn't they overtake this market?

Second, if you look at at

http://www.cobasys.com/news/20070313.shtml

you will find the proud announcement of their use in automobiles.  You will
find a confirmation of this at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery

where their use in Saturns is mentioned.

> The demand is there, make no mistake about it.

That's a fairly strong statement.  At a low enough price, I'd believe it.
But, there are real problems with batteries.

Look at

http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Battery-Energy.html

and you'll see what I mean.  We know that the energy density of gasoline is
about 46 MJ/Kg.  Compare this to the best, most expensive battery (Li ion),
and we get a factor of 100.  Electric cars are more efficient (90% vs 20%),
so this gets down to a factor of 22 or so in power/weight.  And, using the
highly efficient batteries has a cost, that's why the Tesla Roadster costs
>100k.

We know that the modest amount of batteries in a hybrid raises the prices
4-5k.  We know that the Prius hybrid sales are now falling like a rock
(factor of 2 Dec-Dec, and probably significantly more June-Dec), due to the
added cost and the cheap price of gas.  So, why would there be extensive
demand for an expensive commuter car that can only be used for relatively
short trips?

As soon as a 100-mile-
> range battery powered car is available, there are plenty of people who
> would much rather charge their cars overnight (on off-peak electrical
> power, at home) and get the energy equivalent of 150 mpg (even
> counting the overall 70% charge efficiency of the battery system) for
> the daily commute.  Enough that even one production generation will
> bring the concept close enough to maturity for them to displace
> gasoline-powered vehicles.

They are available, they are much more expensive than ICE based cars, and
they are selling only in small numbers to those with _a lot_ of
discretionary income.

Dan M.