On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:49 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Jo Anne <evens...@hevanet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That's great Nick.  Now do you want to say what you're going to do
>> so that
>> even *I* can understand what it is you're trying to accomplish?  Is
>> Twitter
>> another IM program?  What's the difference between twitter and
>> tweet?  And
>> can one only twitter (or tweet) from a phone?  What is an API
>

> Sorry for the obfuscation.
>
> Go to twitter.com and you might figure out a bit more.
>
> Twitter is "micro-blogging."  Create an account and you can post
> messages up
> to 140 characters.  Anybody can "follow" you messages and you can
> follow
> anybody else's (except for a very small percentage of Twitter users
> who
> choose to keep theirs private).
>
> It is optional to have the tweets -- the messages -- sent to you
> phone.  You
> can set that for each person you follow.
>
> So... if you just want to keep an eye on Brin-L-related stuff on
> Twitter via
> the web, all you'd have to do is check this page periodically:
>
> http://twitter.com/KillerBs
>
> If you wanted them to go to your phone, you'd have to create a Twitter
> account, "follow" KillerBs, then set KillerBs to go to your phone.
>
> If you want to reply to the KillerBs posts on Twitter, you'd also
> have to
> have an account and start the post with @KillerBs.
>
> I'm not entirely sure anybody knows what Twitter is becoming,
> exactly, but
> it is essentially a way to exchange short messages.
>
> API = Application Programming Interface.  Twitter has unusually open
> APIs,
> which makes it pretty easy to create new Twitter clients, analytical
> tools
> and so forth.  It will make it pretty easy for me to link the
> mailing list
> to Twitter.
>
> Nick

I've been getting brin-l via email on the iPhone, which lets me read
actual posts while I'm mobile.  (And, under limited circumstances,
post while mobile, too, although it's difficult to format replies the
way they really *should* be formatted, especially trimming quoted
content!)  is twittering better than that?

(I've been able to successfully avoid using Twitter so far, because
most of the social networking sites I use have custom apps for the
iPhone.  I've commented to at least one friend that that capability is
a little frightening, but sometimes it's quite useful. :)