David Brin Wrote:
> Today's DVD's

> 1- are not universal if you record on "minus" or "plus" mode and many
>units throw fits, even then

1a. Get a better Player.  Sony.  Avoid Philips/Magnavox for electronics.

1b. Why even bother with the minus format. It's inferior, and it's pretty much dead. Use DVD+RW. or DVD+R for throwaways.

> 2- fast-forward and reverse are a mess.  They are twichy and over and
> undershoot like mad.

2a. Yes, but still better than a lot of VCR's. My current VCR, the only standalone HiFi VCR BestBuy still sold when I bought it, FF's/Rw's at about 3 times as fast as I can react and doesn't stop imeadiately when I press the button. The bastard machine over shoots by several minutes.

2b. Get a better Player that has 10 or 15 second incremental advance buttons. Sony. RDR-GX330.

> 3- menu navigation is often torment

I have never come across a DVD with menu's so complex I couldn't figure them out.

> 4-  You cannot copy incrementally, onto the end of a segment of DVD
> that you already recorded some before.

You can "record" that way with some burners. I don't think "copy" is something their designers want people doing. (Do that kind of thing on a computer with the appropriate software).

> 5-  Very few computers let you use a DVD as an optical mass storage
> device, even though it is the perfect medium for making your monthly
> hard-disk backup.  They insist it can only be used AS a DVD-video
> storage device.

Not a hardware issue.  Get better software.

> 6 -  Even with new hacks and machines, there is still collusion
> between manufacturers and studios, meant to diminish and hinder
> copying of anything you legitimately own.  Yes, there are reasons for
> this.  But clearly the market is not functioning, or some company
> would simply be selling units that do what the customer wants.

The same as it ever was.

William T Goodall wrote:
> Even with HD the frame rate (50Hz/60hz) is still different between
> NTSC and PAL. (NTSC and PAL have nothing to do with HD being analog
> formats but the 50/60 Hz is the same so the labels have stuck).

Just shows another reason why the PAL format is so inferior (also Framerate should be independent of device). For an NTSC machine to play at a rate good for all reasonable frequencies (24fps film, 30fps TV, 60fps TV) it just has to play at 120hz (and show the same frame 2-5 times). For a PAL machine to do the same it would need to refresh at 600hz. PAL just sucks, period.