Bruce Bostwick wrote:
And why with 100+ moons, none of them has a sub-moon?

My guess would be that there just aren't many stable solutions to a close-in three-body problem like that. Jupiter's gravitational effects dominate the orbital dynamics of a good part of the solar system, and many of its satellites are fairly close to its Roche limit to begin with, so my back-of-the-napkin guess would be that sub=moons would be extremely rare and tend not to be in very stable orbits.

Bruce--

I think there certainly are stable solutions
for some planet/moon systems without submoons.
The orbit of the submoon would have to be definitely
inside the Hill sphere of the moon.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere

To me, the problem is more that it's very unlikely
that objects will get captured by the moon.

                                ---David

And smaller fleas to bite them, Maru