Krugman implies that most economists either believe in the simplistic
Keynesian theory, or the absurd efficient market theory. Neither
viewpoint was helpful in predicting the 2008 downturn. But Krugman
suggests that another theory, behavioral economics, may have useful
predictive ability.

[end summary]

Perhaps behavioral economics may have more predictive ability than
Keynes or EMT. If so, I would like to know why so few economists have
been making useful predictions with BE. Behavioral economics is not
brand new -- elements of it have been published for decades, and it
has certainly received plenty of attention in the past 10 years.

If politicians are so concerned with helping the economy, why did they
not warn us long ago about impending trouble based on the predictions
of people like Shiller and Roubini? Instead of Bernanke reassuring
everyone that things were fine just before the 2008 downturn,
shouldn't the politicians have been warning us for years that trouble
was coming unless we reduced leverage and eliminated all the
incentives to sell mortgages to people who could not afford them?

Politicians figure that voters do not like Cassandras. They may be
right. Perhaps what is needed more than a theory of behavioral
economics is a theory of behavioral politics.