Jeffrey S. Flier is Dean of Harvard Medical School. In the Journal of
Clinical Investigation article referenced below, Flier offers his
ideas on health care reform.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/41033

Flier identifies three "root causes" for the symptoms of America's
health care ills:

| First, there is our inefficient and inequitable system of
| tax-advantaged, employer-based health insurance. While the federal
| tax code promotes overspending by making the majority unaware of the
| true cost of their insurance and care, the code is grossly unfair to
| the self-employed, small businesses, workers who stick with a bad job
| because they need the coverage, and workers who lose their jobs after
| getting sick.

| Second....health insurance markets suffer from overregulation, which
| limits innovation in both insurance and new ways of delivering medical
| care.

| Third, we have Medicaid and Medicare.... These programs pay providers
| by administrative pricing formulas that are well documented to promote
| both overuse and underuse of appropriate care, have led to rising
| expenditures decoupled from better health, and obligate massive future
| deficits that everyone agrees are unsustainable. They are also rife with
| fraud and abuse.

Flier also recommends David Goldhill's recent article in The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200909/health-care