On Nov 13, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

Bruce Bostwick quoted:

"'How do I print, Mr. Kahn?’ ‘How do I save?’ It’s Control-S!
It’s ALWAYS Control-S!!” — Kahn Souphanousinphone

Not if you are doomed with M$'s products in other languages. The
idiots that ported Word, Excel, etc to Portuguese _translated_
the Control-things, so that I have no idea how to cut, copy, paste,
save, etc. BTW, each M$ product uses a _different_ set of Control's.

Alberto Monteiro

Interesting that the canonical Z-X-C-V-B keyboard shortcuts weren't carried over into other localizations. I would have expected otherwise, given that at least the X-C-V-B arrangement has been well established since Macintosh System 1.x back in the 128k Classic days, and quite a few of the early generation Windows keyboard shortcuts followed the Mac ones, simply using Control rather than Command. (And the X-C-V shortcuts are more iconic than alphabetical, in Latin-script languages at least, and the arrangement was particularly ergonomic, I think, hence their use as something of a de facto standard in English- localized platforms.) It's kind of sad that MS didn't provide an option to use traditional key shortcuts instead of just trying (not very well, it seems) to localize them as well.

But in my defense, it was just a quote. From a character who is known more for his temper (and, to some degree, his prejudices and impatience) than for his accuracy. Even if he is a systems analyst. :D

"Grotesque oppression isn't okay just because it's been institutionalized." -- Toby Ziegler