On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:12 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1934027_1934003_1933945,00.html
> http://tinyurl.com/yl4evjq
>
> (Includes the "5 Worst Inventions of the Year" and a poll for voting
> on the ranking:  Ares is not #1 in that poll.)

The Ares I darn well should be. I mean, the Ares V is a good enough
concept for bulk launch, never mind that the Saturn V was carrying
arround 75% of the same payload in the late 60's, but sticking
Astronaughts on top of a rocket at this stage? Insane. Spaceplanes,
allready.

AndrewC

I'm guessing I wasn't clear and that you didn't go through the list at the site. The poll is for visitors to the site to rank the items in the "50 Best" list. When I was there #1 was what they referred to as the "Electric Eye," #2 was the 60W LED light bulb (no word on when they'll come out with one to replace 100W bulbs — here at least 60W aren't bright enough to light up the room well enough from the ceiling fixture (even though the ceiling is painted white) or to read by), and bringing up the tail at #50 was the cloned puppy.

Dog Gone Maru

. . . ronn!  :)

My main gripe about LED lighting is that, with the sole exception of IKEA, I think, everyone seems to love "cool white" LED's in lighting fixtures. I very much prefer "warm white" phosphor GaN LED's (or even yellow/orange GaAs LED's in some applications). I've just never been a big fan of that blue-white color balance, never liked it in fluorescent tubes and really don't like it in LED's.

Of course, it seems like maybe the GaN types are mature enough now that people aren't as eager to show off the fact that they can get blue LED's. I've become very annoyed by that color, particularly the shorter-wavelength variety. Plus they have way too much power dissipation for some applications. :p

HANK: A man came by from the Shiney Pines trailer park, and he said you still got a trailer there.
LUANNE: No I don't, it tipped over.
HANK: But it's still there.
LUANNE: No, it tipped over!
HANK: Luanne, let me try to explain. I have a beer can. I tip it over. Now, is it still there? LUANNE: I can't live in a beer can. I can live in a trailer, but I don't have a trailer because the trailer tipped over!