On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:53 PM, Michael Harney wrote:

Julia wrote:
What's the best thing to do for that? And, just as importantly, what should
be avoided at all costs?

        Julia

Important: Do NOT use acetone. It erodes plastics and may severely damage the screen surface.

Someone already suggested using a moist, lint-free cloth. There are cleaning gels and wipes for LCD screens that you can also try.

Michael Harney

The only "safe" solvent to use on anything computer-screen related is water, preferably distilled, although it won't dissolve most inks. Isopropyl alcohoi will cut through most inks, possibly not as well on ballpoint inks as on dry erase or permanent marker, but it may react chemically with some plastics, particularly transparent/translucent ones.

I don't remember if the scratch filler compound I'm thinking about -- that would match the refractive index of the plastic and polish out after applying to hide the scratch -- is something that actually exists or something I wanted that didn't exist. (And I'm not sure how good an idea that would be on a matte finish diffuser surface anyway.) I seem to remember that some LCD's can be disassembled and the front diffuser sheet replaced, and if this is one of those, that might be feasible. It's labor intensive, as I recall ..