> Shucks, we'd be better of without aircraft,
> heavy trucks and diesel powered ships.
> It will force us to use alt fuels and
> old tech, like wind and steam power!~)
> We'll still need oil for lubrication,
> but maybe the whale population will
> return to what it was in the 17Th century.
> Jon

> How do you make the steam?
> Nick

> Assuming you haven't just pushed your
> tongue all the way through your cheek.
> How do we feed/house/support anything
> like the current human population without
> trucks, rail, and powered ships?
> --[Lance]

Shucks, I don't have any answers, but when all
the whale oil ran out we found another source.
At least steam engines don't pollute as much as
oil!~)

With our current transportation and distribution
systems, inequitable allocation of resources, and
concentration of population in cities I wonder if
it is even feasible to move populations closer to
to food sources?

Of course there would be chaos if we stopped using
Pietro-chemicals and coal, etc. to power transport
vehicles.

Given time, I believe human ingenuity, and advances
in science, technology and engineering, can find a
way to surmount almost any obstacles.

Of course it might just require the end of wasteful
materialism, and adapting affluent lifestyles to
use more renewable sources of energy.   =Then there
always soylent green...:)

The measure of a civilization should not be how much
energy is consumed, but how it is consumed...
Jon