There is an ongoing discussion on this topic on Dr.Brin's Facebook site.

I'm not sure if this forward is verbal hyperbole designed to exaggerate the
magnitude of the environmental catastrophe now known as Deepwater Horizon.

The forward claims we have been fed a gusher of lies to minimize the planetary
scale disaster now in progress in the Gulf, and claims it could blow out to
50,000 barrels a day (according to a "not for public" NOAA emergency report).
The oil slick alone is the size of New Jersey.

Pardon the length; I have paraphrased to some extent:
It goes on to say this is not just a leak, and unless we find some way to stop
the venting of the gigantic oil field in the Gulf (under 100,000 pounds per
square inch of pressure) we may be looking at the end of all marine life on
this planet. We have literally punched a hole into hell.

In any case, I agree we need to stop all new oil exploration and start reducing
burning fossil fuels, and worldwide carbon dioxide emissions.

Governments need to put everything they've got into a crash program to conserve
energy use and develop truly renewable energy sources as an alternative nuclear
and other non-renewable energy.

It should have been done twenty years ago. The burning of fossil fuels was
already slowly killing the planet, causing inexorable rises in greenhouse gas
levels that have done nothing but accelerate, despite the rampant
disinformation campaign waged by oil industry toadies pretending to be real
scientists.