> Electronic forums are the ideal venue for
> brainstorming solutions for
> social issues, as you can take time to edit your
> comments. ?It also
> affords more people an opportunity to be less
> passive and have a voice.
> Moderated sites work best to stay on topic and
> maintain civilized discourse.

> >As long as the moderator isn't a censor.
> > Doug P

> After 20 years of changes in internet groups,
> I think its reasonable to see
> what really happens in internet forums.
> Yes, there will be the rare
> exception, but I've seen multiple postings
> that indicate that, when the
> forums are used, they are trivial and
> decisions are based on rumors.  The
> birther rumor is a good example of this.
> Dan M.

That has been the case and there are worse examples.
What I am trying to do in Santa Monica is to have
the forums on the city website with participation
from city officials.  The topics would be on local
issues and the moderators on each topic would be
would be selected by participants to prevent any
attempts to censor or slant the discussion.
Jon M