On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM,   "Dan Minette" <danmine...@att.net> wrote:

snip

> Third, to get out of this, the US needs a positive black swan to change all
> the rules again.  This will soak up investment capitol, with a real return
> on investment, because wealth will be created.  Until it comes, we're
> treading water.

I know about two positive black swans.  However the first one (power
satellites through cheap lift to GEO) is only being discussed in
China, and the second one (StartoSolar) will probably go that way as
well.

It looks like StratoSolar could sell electric power at 1-2 cents per
kWh and (under the current price for renewable solar power) pay back
the expense of building one in as little as two years.

Unfortunately I have no ideas about how to get this going, at least
not in the US.  I think a rule change favoring longer term investments
in physical plant will be needed before anyone will consider any such
ideas.

Keith