> >I wonder if the reason the USSR was engaging in
> >brinkmanship was less for imperialism and exporting
> >communism, than  from fear of the U.S. threat.

> Wouldn't a reasonable person analyze the stated US
> policy towards the Soviet Union since about '48,and
> look at the history between '48 and '62 since that
> time to see if the policy was actually being followed,
> or if the policy was a cover for more aggressive actions?
> Dan M.

sounds reasonable.  the US was in a more powerful position
and followed a policy of containment.  the real wars were
over trade and resources and mostly being fought through
surrogates.  in the end the USSR age collapsed and was
defeated by an arms race it could never win and would
only result in mutually assured destruction if engaged.
Jon M