>I think there have been discussions here previously about vaccines, and
>while there might well be some people, especially children, who can have
>difficulty with multiple vaccines, the issue of vaccination causing autism
>is particularly fear-inducing.  But the 1998 'study' has been judged
>fraudulent:

This wasn't discussed here, to my knowledge, but it was discussed fairly
extensively at the Culture list.  There was a partial retraction 8 years
ago, and a strong retraction, which included a letter signed by either every
other author but the first author or every other one but him and one or two
others within the last month.  The partial retraction was over the general
conclusion, the big retraction was after the fraud was fairly well
established.

The Lancet, in my book, has published other studies that were questionable
from the beginning.  For example, they published a study on US induced
deaths in Iraq that found that a quarter of the population of Faluja had
died due to the early fighting (early was first 1.5 years or so).  When this
was found to clearly be wrong, instead of checking their methodology, they
just dropped the obviously wrong data, called it something to look at later,
and published the rest.  That is bad science.

The cell phone causes cancer publications are similar.  One group constantly
finds a correlation that's unrepeatable when others do extensive tests.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and not attribute to malice what can
be explained by incompetence.

Dan M.