> I know as a fact that the Defense Department said they
> would require that all programming for applications they used would have to
> be done in Ada (I think within 5 years) because Ada was a compiler that
> automatically eliminated bugs.

AFAIK, the Ada compiler can detect many programmer mistakes at compile
time. Of course, one might say that Ada that's mainly because Ada
imposes so many restrictions on the programmer that the chance to make
mistakes is greatly increased (compared to more "relaxed" languages,
which do, for example, implicit type conversion). Ada also supports
run-time-checks - which detects bugs when it's already too late (or
may even cause bugs in extreme cases).

Compared to other languages of the time, like Fortran, it's clearly
superior in detecting some classes of bugs early. It also reduces the
programmer's efficiency, resulting the number of bugs per time compare
to more efficient languages.

However, the "best bugs" are introduced during programming, but much
earlier. Catching bugs at the earliest possible time is expensive, but
the ROI is immense and outweighs the cost by several orders of
magnitude. Of course, any manager who was reading this dropped out at
the word "expensive", so defective software will remain the standard.

Okay, the word "standard" reminds to get back on-topic. I suspect that
the reason for the choice of Ada was that Ada was the first
standardized HL programming language. Oh, the military loves
standards. No further explanation necessary.

Best regards, Klaus