I sent this to a single person instead of the list due to Killer B being
changed (probably automatically) from the sender to a cc.  I think this
happened a couple of other times.  I've gotten replies, but will not post
them, because they aren't my emails.  But if the sender would, or would give
me permission to, that would be great.

> The Chinese were extremely ham-handed about this.  In particular,
> their stoppage of rare earth shipments in response to an incident
> involving their extrodinary claims to ocean territory (basically any
> territory claims of the Chinese over the last 1000 years are
> considered valid and enforceable by the the Chinese government)
> generated strong reaction.  Given the fact that consumers rightfully
> believed that the Chinese were untrustworthy suppliers, as well as
> expensive ones, it was reasonable for them to sacrifice a little
> performance to switch to a more reliable and cheaper supply.  The Chinese
overplayed their hand, as they have overall the last year.