http://www.nbc17.com/news/3466609/detail.html

"N.C. Law Prohibits Unmarried Adults Of Opposite Sex From Living Together

POSTED: 7:04 pm EDT June 27, 2004
WILMINGTON, N.C. -- A former dispatcher for the Pender County Sheriff's Department said her bosses forced her to choose between her job and her live-in boyfriend.

Debora Hobbs picked her boyfriend of 12 years, but said it isn't a decision she should have had to make.

Sheriff Carson Smith declined to specifically discuss the matter, but says he holds his employees to a high standard. North Carolina law prohibits unmarried, unrelated adults of the opposite sex from living together.

"It is a violation of general statute and it goes against something that I believe is a moral issue," Smith said. "Personally and morally, I think it's best to be married if you're going to be living together."

Smith said he tries to avoid hiring people who openly live together. He doesn't send out deputies to enforce the law, either.

"My first issue is they're going to make me live by a law they don't even enforce, Hobbs said. "They see it every day."

Hobbs said she understands Smith's stance, but she wants the law changed.

Smith said he didn't know if changing the law would change his policy.

"There are certainly a lot of things that I think are wrong that aren't against the law," he said."

-- William T Goodall Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

INTEL INSIDE
It's not a marketing gimmick, it's a warning label.