I couldn't access the more recent 2003 article, but
here is a paper abstract from 2000:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10984193
"Carbon nanotubes are strong, flexible, conduct
electrical current, and can be functionalized with
different molecules, properties that may be useful in
basic and applied neuroscience research. We report the
first application of carbon nanotube technology to
neuroscience research. Methods were developed for
growing embryonic rat-brain neurons on multiwalled
carbon nanotubes. On unmodified nanotubes, neurons
extend only one or two neurites, which exhibit very
few branches. In contrast, neurons grown on nanotubes
coated with the bioactive molecule 4-hydroxynonenal
elaborate multiple neurites, which exhibit extensive
branching. These findings establish the feasability of
using nanotubes as substrates for nerve cell growth
and as probes of neuronal function at the nanometer
scale."

Huh, if nanotubes with stem cells committed to become
neurons [we'd have to find out how to direct stem cell
potentiation - probably a series of various growth
factor chemicals] were implanted in damaged spinal
cords, would new connections restore the ability to
walk?

Debbi
Direct Interface Imminence Maru