On a lighter note, I have expanded on that earlier Beatles LOTR thing...

===

I just got the following - which I'm not sure whether to take seriously:

Hey, I'm watching a Tolkien bography right now and an interesting tid bit from it I'd like to share. The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings film, John was going to be Gollum, Paul-Frodo, Ringo-Samwise, and George was going to be Gandalf. By the time the Fab Four found a director the film rights had already been sold. Could have been interesting. What do you think, Jim Morrison as Saurman, Elvis as Bill the Pony?<<

Whether this is true or not, someone answered: How about Tiny Tim as Galadriel????

My own offerings from that era are:

Momma Cass as Shelob.

Teddy Kennedy as Faramir (till he ate enough to qualify as Shelob?)

Mick Jagger as Legolas ( with a twist)

Frank Zappa as Gimli

J. Edgar Hoover as Bilbo

As Merry and Pippin?..... a tie. The SmothersBrothers or Sonny&Cher

Jerry Garcia as the King of the Dead

Timothy Leary as Tom Bombadil  (Though George Carlin could pull it off)

Attorney Gen. John Mitchell as Wormtongue

Eric Idle as Eowyn the warrior-maid of Rohan

James Brown as King of the Ents (singing "Ow! It's a man's world...")

Meat Loaf as the Balrog (played with feeling and angst)

Ring Wraiths -- led by Kieth Richards, plus (at full Valkyrie volume) Martha Mitchell, Joni Mitchell, Nancy Reagan, Nancy Sinatra, Joan Baez, Joan Rivers, Donna Summers, Don Ameche and that Dy-no-mite guy.

Orcs: Mister T and... oh, let him play em all. And I pity the fool who resists.

My favorite:
L.Ron Hubbard as (who else?) the mysterious and secretive cult leader  Elrond!

... and Jerry Mathers as The Beaver

Of course Leonard Nimoy would both direct and sing background, with a suitably elf-spockish cameo. Gotta find a role for Goldie Hawn. And Raquel, please, in that cave outfit. Ah, what days those were....