From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Barry O'Kane
Sent: 21 July 2004 17:33
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [BD] FW: New Ultimate Book

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 21 July 2004 16:36

Ultimate Techniques and Tactics from Human Kinetics by Jim Parinella and
Eric Zazlow

By a rough count on my shelf, this may be about the 20th book that has been
written with disc play of one sort or another as its principal topic.
Of course, we
started in 1972 with Goldy Norton's, The Official Frisbee Handbook.
Since
then, we've had several general introductions to play. The next level of
coverage got more specific and gave somewhat detailed instructions on how to
play the various games. Then, in 1982, Irv Kalb and Tom Kennedy gave us the
first book that really focused on one disc game in great detail, Ultimate
Fundamentals. Dan Poynter of Revolutionary Publications helped make that
project possible as he had done in 1978 with Mark Danna's  Frisbee Player's
Handbook (which was round and came packed in a disc). They just rolled off
of the shelves...

Then, of course, we began to have some more specialized videos and dvd's
that reached this more specialized level of coverage. However, amazingly,
about 20 years passed until we got another detailed treatment of ultimate.
Last year, James Studarus did a nice job of updating the Ultimate
Fundamentals book.

And now, another very significant book on ultimate is added to our
discography as James Parinella and Eric "Zaz"  Zaslow have written Ultimate
Techniques and Tactics. From an historical standpoint, one of the most
significant things about this new issue is that it is published by Human
Kinetics, the leading publisher in the sports and fitness field. I can
remember visiting their booth at many national physical education shows over
the years and looking at the impressive library of offerings that they made
available on more conventional sports. When I mentioned disc sports they
always showed some interest, but we never really got any steam going in a
project because HK wasn't convinced that we were here to stay. Obviously,
our history must have overcome that resistance. We're finally on the shelf
with the big dogs! It's a full-sized 8.5 by 11 volume with 195 pages. The
cover features a really cool action picture taken by Scobel Wiggins. Inside
are lots of black and white photos, mostly by Tom Roberts.

Jim and Zaz are certainly the team to write such a book. They bring a ton of
competitive ultimate experience to bear and their depth of knowledge is
obvious in every paragraph of the text. Both writers have their roots in
Boston ultimate having played for Death or Glory (DoG) and won many national
and world championships.  They've also made other far-ranging contributions
including teaching and team building. Both Jim and Zaz have served the
Ultimate Players Association. Jim was a board member from 1998 to
2003
and was the board president from 2000 through 2001. Zaz is currently on the
UPA Board.

The coverage of the book is impressive without being overwhelming. By that I
mean that the writing should keep the attention of relatively inexperienced
players even though it is quite detailed. All the essential topics like
throwing, cutting, catching, handling, and defense are presented, but each
topic contains some gems of insight beyond the basics that are really
helpful.
Actually, I think these chapters will also be very interesting to spectators
of the game, not just those who play it. Looks like an ideal gift for
ultimate parents and spouses.  You owe them some help when everyone else on
the sideline starts shouting, "It's the clam! It's the clam!"

Beyond that however, there also are some unexpected features to the book.
Part III is a very interesting section that discusses how to build a
successful team. Included is discussion of such things as the role of
off-the-field players and implications of the team's social structure. It's
good stuff.

You'll also find that Ultimate T&T handles the spirt of the game very well.
Though the goal of the book is to help the reader play winning ultimate, the
authors often mention the underlying spirit that makes ultimate unique. They
also had an interesting solution to the challenge of how to handle the male/
female conventions in their writing. Players on offense are always male and
the defenders are female. It works a lot better than the invented "s/he."

So, in short, if you are interested in playing any level of competent
ultimate, you must make this book your own. For this particular book, you
can do that in several ways. You can order the title from Human Kinetics
directly for $19.95 US  at www.HumanKinetics.com. They also have offices in
England, Australia and New Zealand. And, of course, you can find it and the
Studarus book through such disc resellers as wrightlife.com or dtworld.com.
If you want to go mainstream, you can pick it up through amazon.com or
barnesandnobel.com.
It's been hanging on at about #5000 in the Amazon sales ranking since its
release.

Now, of course, I believe that any disc player should support disc play
publishing efforts, no matter what their discipline. There are a good many
of us these days and we need to bring our economic clout to bear. Show HK
that they were right about ultimate.

Stork