Just a random collection of thoughts on what i think are the positives of splitting
the tours and reducing the events:

The mixed scene would benefit from the top players taking part. It would improve the
standard of games and help develop players of both genders at all levels. Whilst the
men’s and women’s tour is run at the same time of year as the mixed, less players will
participate in one or the other (most likely the mixed). Also the perception is that
the mixed game brings more women into ultimate, so if we place a greater emphasis on
mixed (i.e. its own time of year) this will eventually bring more women into the
women’s tour that will be played alongside the open tour.

I think separating the tours would encourage us to play with different people (and
abilities) at the mixed events. It would also give a more relaxed introduction to the
season, and so give a less strenuous season overall, both physically and mentally
(which clearly was problem at worlds). A competitve open season will lead to a higher
standard of play, and a higher development rate.

If the amount of tours played is less, (three tours and Nationals) there would be room
for tour teams to play in open tournaments like the Brit Open, which generally has
pick up teams, and in my opinion should be something more like the Coca Cola Cup. An
open format will give the lower teams an opportuninty to put themselves up against the
best. Less tours would give players an opening to attend tournaments like the Durham
Hat for instance.

The focus of our attention should be on helping to increase the womens player base in
Britain and trying to help the womens tour resemble the open in size (and in the long
run standard).

Scando

Clapham

Tom Styles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Not sure this conversation is very constructive.

The tours are split already. If the DoC doesn't get the bids for separate tour A and
tour B then they can't be run separately. Perhaps if the UKUA receive two bids for the
same weekend they could split the tour to see how it goes. However I don't think
having too many bids has ever been a big problem for the DoC.

The start of this conversation was to do with reducing the number of tours to lessen
the strain on the diary. Rob Alpen has wisely suggested that the two tour seasons,
mixed and open, be separated. With the mixed season (maybe only 3 events) taking place
from April to mid June and the Open season (again only 3 events) taking place from
June into July and August.

I believe the venue situation will sort itself out, there are standards for
tournaments laid out by the UKUA and the price will be controlled to a greater or
lesser extent by what people are prepared to pay. (A tournament charging £250 a team
would not fill a 32 team tournament no matter how good the facilities.)

Is there any more feedback on the 3 event tour idea? Or the separating the seasons
idea. This would be more useful than the current argument.

Cheers
Tom
FC#1