BD,

A few thoughts:

Tom says the Tour will be failing us if it doesn't serve to improve the top level players. Okay, that's why it was started, but that doesn't mean it can't develop and take on a new role if the situation requires it to. Benji's already said that for his team it rocks, so we can certainly say it's a winning formula for one group of players in the UK.

However, the top teams seem to be suffering from boredom - Alex's comment of the "we'll get you next time (Gadget, arf arf)" mentality speaks volumes about how those players are probably just trying out their tactics on well known teams, which won't give the required preparation for international tournaments. But isn't that why the Champion's League was set up - to provide a greater range of opposition and tactics to play against?

I love the idea of qualifiers for Nationals, why not take out one Tour event and say that the top X number of teams from the tour rankings get a bye, then host the Champion's League the same weekend as the qualifiers? We'd have another opportunity to mix 'toga teams' (sorry Jamie, this might have a life of its own) with the more experienced, the top players have to test themselves against Europe's best and we all come back for the showpiece weekend revved up and raring to go. Obviously this would rely on the European schedule fitting in conveniently, anyone know if it could work?

As for splitting the season into mixed and then open/women's it seems like a great plan, but wouldn't it disrupt Open teams' training sessions? I don't want to say that should stop it, but worth thinking about the effect of pushing for new Mixed sides to start up when Open teams will inevitably want to continue their own sessions to prepare for 'their' half of the year.

See some of you tomorrow in Colchester,

Andy
(SkuMy)

PS Reasons for the possible low turnout at Mixed Nationals? From the UKUA Member Update, I'm sure that more than SkuMy have been affected by this tournament:

WORLD BEACH CHAMPIONSHIPS!

GB competes in another Worlds this week - this time the World beach Championships in Portugal. You can keep up to date with all the results at:
www.lookflynews.com