Hey BD, heya Patrick,

In repsonse to Patrick van der Valk's and to Dave Grayson's emails on spirit and on
the competitve edge, I have a few words to share:::

I think there is a very hazy line in ultimate when spirit is discussed in the room of
fun, competitive, USA and European tournaments. I want to make it a little clearer. at
least present a way of thinking.

Dave, you talk of Sports and playing and playing to win.  I am with you to a certain
degree.  winning is gut.  it has a lot to do with why I play, but really it ain't
necessary the end all of sports.  For me it's more about having a good game.  Yes of
course I want to win and do not particularly like losing, but more importantly its
about a good game.  Good games exist all over: in Euro-land, in the US in fun and in
competitive tournamwnts.
My point here has to do with Spirit and about how people view and or judge Spirit.

Patrick, you warn the UK of not turning our game into an American style game...that we
should keep it real and spirited--keep it Euro. That competitve tournaments/games ruin
spirit.  Although I do agree...having to deal with foul calls from brats is no fun, I
don't agree that the two go hand in hand.  competition can be spiritied and can be
fun.  I am of the opinion that there are advantages on both continents and if there is
anything constructive this isle can do, it is amalgamation.  We need to mix and match.

So what is Spirit?  Is Fire more more spirited than clapham because they have more
gags???  or are ze Germans full of spirit because they love beach ultimate?  yeah
maybe.  but Its not an end all.

I first experienced spirit when I went to Berlin and played with Wall City. They
showed me how to play hard and how to party. The two go perfect together.
I next experienced spirit in the US.  Although i don't have a whole lot of experience
playing ultimate in the US, I did play with the Santa Cruz Slugs for a season.  That
year we got the chance to play in a Regional game that would send us to
NAtionals---the game to make the season worthwhile, or to finish it.  We won and got
to go on.  Having spoken about these regional games in the states with the baron, Rob
Alpen, I know that these games happen all over the country and in each of them
intensity and excitement is always present.
Now---spirit-  Patrick, you might argue that Spirit is lost in these games...that the
competitive edge of this make it break it games pushes Spirit aside.  I disagree. In
that final game to make it to nationals, comradery was shown. we went to battle, stuck
together, had each others backs and won. the opponent gave a good fight...they were
some calls here and there, but what i remember most was the motion of flowing with my
team. being on the same page..knowing that we have to score, have to get a d.  I have
since experienced the feeling with Clapham. A moving mass...ok i'll shut up about
clapham --i know none of you really wanna hear it.
But, intensity and importance brings out a special element in this sport. And in any
sport.  Foul calls and self refereing...its about respect. A respect for your opponent
and for the game. Yes it is lost in America at times.  A lot of the time in close
games, wack calls are made and its frustrating.  But, get over it.  Rarely will one
call be the difference in a game.  Rarely will a travel call determine a make it break
situation.  Our game is like any other, lets not make it into some hippe BS...I am as
freeminded as the next hippie, but discussing spirit and calls can be pretty damn
boring in my opinion.  Referees get calls wrong all the time...and really who gives a
shit?  All we want is a good game.

Ok over to Euro play:::  In Portugal, the Spirit was indeed hot and special.  I had an
excellant time. People were pleasant the entire week through and Patrick and Silvia
were amazing at organising the entire event.  Bongo drums, music on the fields...food
and drink all contributed to a pretty sweet and special atmosphere.  At the same time
what I thought dope and got to appreciate was displayed in our final game of GB Coed
v. ze Germans.  The game was well fought and from our side. Our team sorted out a
trailing 1-4 start to tie 7-7.  the game was close..they pulled away towards the
end...and even though we lost...it was a good game.  I don't care that we are not
world beach ultimate champions...I am glad we got to play in the game to decide
though. I am glad we showed gut and that we care about each other.  care enough to
fcuking have respect and not be jackasses.  respect.  Fun
tournament...yeah...competitive yeah.  As patrick said, the USA Open showed that
americans too !
have
 spirit....they gave props to a french team that ran them to sudden death. Ray, their
captain, in the medal ceremony understood that their game was close, strong and could
have gone either way...he let the crowd know that it wasn't just about the atmosphere
but also about a game. a battle.

Spirit and winning.  Spirit and losing.  Its how you play the game that determines if
its spirited...not if you win and not if you lose.  Don't feel bad for a team that
loses...don't give an MVP to a lesser player just cause they lost....give it to the
person who deserves the damn thing.  I've had a lot of spirited battles this year.
When you mark up against someone, its a great feeling to know that you have to work
your ass off to not let them break the mark or throw a huck.  It ain't easy..but
fcuking ell, its fun.  you get broken...you say ur sorry and you ty and not let it
happen again...applies on every level.  this is a team sport...each of us hold
weight...it ain't just one person.  the collective. yeah... thats when spirit really
starts to show.

So in all this tour talk and whatever talk, whether a regional format is set up, or
whatever...I don't really want to be involved. I do want games. in the UK and in
Europe.  Its fun.So fcuking bring it.  MORE.

long email..prolly un-intelligible. meant in a good way.

peace und liebe.

Ollie
CU