This seems a very sensable and practical solution.
Ad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Statham, Simon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <britdisc@near.me.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:33 PM
Subject: [BD] The Solution

Surely we've heard the solution for this season? Someone has already said - extend the schedule so that games don't finish until 6/6.30 or maybe even 7pm if necessary. We have the light - use it.

This way you can programme in sensible length breaks between games if the schedule demands that teams play back to back.

This would also give more time for TDs to go round and fill water bottles between games (speaking from the Tour 3 point of view, as I can already hear the complaints of not enought water before we've even started!)

This could also enable Tour B to have slightly longer games (although I doubt it).

What's the reason for finishing at 5pm on the Saturday anyway?

Ok, this is an intrim solution and may not solve some of the longer term problems but it will at least allow people to get food and get out of the sun for a while...

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jon Palmer Sent: 18 May 2005 14:49 To: britdisc@near.me.uk Subject: [BD] Re: Tour schedule - a brief survey

BD,

After some private emails I think I need to clarify where I am coming from
with my emails about Tour schedules etc.

Firstly I have nothing against Chris Hughes, he does a thankless task very
well. I do not blame Chris for any of the issues with scheduling.

I have spoken to Chris many times both before and after the split of the
tours about the various formats. From those conversations I think Chris
feels that part of his job as DOC is to schedule the tours according to the
following parameters:

A tour
Should have the format that we currently use as decided by the A Tour
captains midway through last season.

B Tour
Every team should be able to win the B tour.
Up to 32 teams should be able to play the B tour regardless of whether that
makes a sensible number of teams.

I think that Chris feels that these constraints are what we, the Tour
playing members, want the structure to be rather than a reflection of his
personal choice as to the right way to do it.

Within those constraint Chris has done a fantastic job. His schedule for 25
teams for B tour 2 was genius as was coping with the loss of a pitch at the
last minute.

However the point of my emails (and I think others) to Britdisc is to
further the discussion about what the constraints for the tournament formats
should be. I hope that we can have a sensible discussion on the matter. What
do players in the A, B (both top16 and bottom16) & Women's tour really want.
If we can get a consensus either publicly on BD or privately as to what we
the players and teams want the format to be then we can present those sets
of formats to Chris and ask him to write the particular schedule for the
venue in question. (Or screw it I'll write the schedule if he doesn't want
to do it.)

So what do other teams want?

I've spoken to some teams and players about it and the overall picture is
discontentment with the current system particularly with the amount of pitch
time.

I'll try to collate a set of opinions from all the teams. Can I get answers
to the following questions:

A tour teams
1. Are you happy with the current format with back to back games?
2. If not which format would you rather see (see my previous mail for a
suggested set of choices)?
3. What would be the ideal length of games for the A tour?

B Tour teams
1. Are you happy with the current format?
2. Are you happy with the current amount of pitch time?
3. What would be the ideal length of games for the B tour?
4. Do you think it is important to keep an open format in which every team
can win?
5. Do you think that the number of teams should be restricted to make
scheduling easier (ie to multiples of 4)?

Women's Tour teams
1. Are you happy with the current format?
2. Are you happy with the current amount of pitch time?
3. What would be the ideal length of games for the women's tour?

Please reply to me privately rather than to BD.

Cheers
JP

This Email is confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the author and you must not disclose or use the contents in any way. The author bears responsibility for any legal action or disputes arising from views or professional advice expressed which do not relate to the business of Faber Maunsell Ltd.