(Long numerical email)

The only slight problem you get is that after a few places into the B
tour, you have a differential of 0 or minus numbers which creates a bit
of a bonus for lower teams. This is avoided in the current system which
apportions an amount of points relative to a fixed figure, and the
number of teams in the event.

The only other way I could think of doing it would be to have 0 for the
winner, 1 (or 5 say) for 2nd place, 2 (or 10) for third place, and so on
and have an overall lowest score takes the prize. It could be simpler to
work out, and obviously teams that don't enter all four events could
either be given a penalty score of 50, say, or a penalty equal to 1
point higher than the bottom team, or some other way to avoid them
winning the tour/qualifying for Nationals by not turning up for the last
event.

I can't compare the total tour results at the moment due to a lack of B
tour results from Colchester, but the top 16-20 has a few little
differences. It would be as follows. If you use 50 points for a
non-attendance, (like I have done below) then that obviously penalises
teams not attending a smaller event. That is why Clapham 2 and Fire 2
have slipped down the rankings a bit.

Maybe it is not that different, and also I guess it could as easily
provide ties. I don't know enough statistics to go into it fully.
Anyway, it would be easier to work out.

That's enough from me.

Andy
UTB

1       FireOfLondon1           3
2       LeedsLeedsLeeds         6
3       ChevronActionFlash      8
4       Clapham1                        9
5       Fusion1                 20
6       Emo                             27
7       BAF                             28
8       PlasticFactory1         29
9       BrightonUltimate1               38
10      LtdRelease1                     42
11      SheffieldSteal1         44
12      No-Lo                           52
13      Discuits1                       53
14      PlasticFactory2         59
15      FlyghtClub1                     60
16      PaddyMurphy                     60
17      TenaciousDevon1         62
18      CardiffUltimate1                81
19      UTB1                            82
20      LuckyHuckers            99
21      Clapham2                        110
22      MMJ                             111
23      Abstract                        115
24      FireOfLondon2           116

Traditional points:

1       FireOfLondon1           952
2       LeedsLeedsLeeds         912
3       ChevronActionFlash      884
4       Clapham1                        884
5       Fusion1                 768
6       Emo                             695
7       BAF                             680
8       PlasticFactory1         671
9       BrightonUltimate1               582
10      LtdRelease1                     540
11      SheffieldSteal1         522
12      Discuits1                       488
13      No-Lo                           440
14      FlyghtClub1                     399
15      PaddyMurphy                     392
16      PlasticFactory2         387
17      Clapham2                        380
18      TenaciousDevon1         359
19      FireOfLondon2           330
20      UTB1                            278
21      CardiffUltimate1                266

---------------

What do people think about the points system at the moment?

I think I may well be missing the point, but does anyone else think that
the current points for each position in the tour seems a bit strange:

For some reason, the differential between each position (after first to
second) alternates between 8 and 10 points.  This means that there are a
lot of combinations that lead to the same total (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th =
912 = 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th)

Now I realise that there is a gag involved in getting as many 2's in the
system as possible and I'm sure that when Si Hill (?) came up with the
system, this joke was extremely amusing.  However, would it not be much
more sensible to have a system (as most sports that involve multiple
tournaments
- golf, snooker, tennis etc. do) that has an ever decreasing
differential.
In other words the difference between 1st and 2nd is bigger than the
difference between 2nd and 3rd, which in turn is bigger than the
difference between 3rd and 4th etc.  This reflects the more emphasis
that players who are still in with a chance of winning put in compared
to those who are playing for places (we've all seen the lower intensity
that is often exhibited in 3 vs 4 play-offs).  We seem to be going some
way along this by having the 20 point gap between first and second, and
then losing the plot after that.

Why not go for something like:

2 = 230 (minus 20)
3 = 211 (minus 19)
4 = 193 (minus 18)
5 = 176 (minus 17)
6 = 160 (minus 16)
7 = 145 (minus 15)
8 = 131 (minus 14)

Therefore: 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th beats 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Just a thought as it gets rid of a lot of the drawn positions.  If
people don't like funny numbers, then just have much bigger values and
then go minus 100, minus 95, minus 90 etc etc.

Cheers,

Joff