On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 02:21:15AM -0400, "Per Jørgensen" wrote:

>  Jeg overvejer at gå fra flasker til Cornelius Kegs, men kan man tappe øl
>  af over lang tid uden at øllet i keg bliver dårligt? jeg tænker, at 19 l
>  nok er lidt i overkanten til eget forbrug hvis det skal drikkes over en
>  kort periode 2-3 uger, eller kan øllet i keg holde sig i flere måneder
>  selv om jeg tapper et glas i ny og næ?

I once made a Christmas Stout, kegged it, and tasted in December only to
decide that it needed to age more. Next year I tasted it a few times, and by
December it started to be good. But I did not drink it all. During the next
year I tasted it a few times, and noted how it improved with age. Again in
December I put it on, and it was even better. The next year I did not taste
it so often, and in December I found that it had gone totally sour. I saved
the remaining liters for cooking...

So yes, you can keep a keg going for a long time, on and off. Tapping itself
should not harm the beer in any way. But you should be careful to keep your
connectors clean, so no infection sneaks in when you connect and disconnect
your keg. I have some small plastic caps I put on the connectors when not in
use. I clean the connectors (both on the keg, and in the cable) with cheap
vodka before I make the connection. This applies to a picnic tap as well.
When I disconnect, I am careful to wipe any spilled beer away, and may
even desinfect the connector with that vodka.

If this sounds like a lot of hazzle, it is. I don't always do things this
way, only when I know the beer will have to last a long time. Still, it is
*much* less work than the eternal bottle-washing. I will not go back to
bottles any time soon!

It also makes a difference what kind of beer you have in the keg. The
stronger, darker, hoppier and bitter, the better it can resist infections.
A mild pale pilsner is not nearly as likely to remain good for a long time.

Go for the kegs! You may experience a keg going bad occasionally, but most of
the time you'll be enjoying very good

   beer anyway

     -H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk