PM Lee,Chinese leaders discuss bilateral,regional cooperation.

Singapore-China relations got another boost yesterday when Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong met Chinese President Hu Jintao,who accepted Mr Lee's invitation to visit Singapore.
Mr Lee also met National People Congress chairman Wu Bangguo and Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference chairman Jia Qinglin-the number three and four in Chinese leadership hierarchy.

Speaking to the Singapore media later ,Mr Lee said he had a " good series of meetings " with the Chinese leaders and their discussions were " fruitful".He said he and Mr Hu talked in a "strategic and regional context." particularly about China's relations with the West and with Japan.They also discussed their countries' co-operation bilaterally as well as within a regional framework.

"We're very happy to have a convergence of views," Mr Lee said " I think these are all issues which concern the region-not just Singapore ".

And both sides want to work towards an outcome which will produce a stable and prosperous region.Mr Lee invited Mr Hu to visit Singapore,and the Chinese leader accepted." He said the last time he was in Singapore in 2002. " Mr Lee said "Three years passed and he looks forward to coming again to see how things have changed.He's sure things have changed.And indeed,they have ,"

On his meeting with Mr Wu,Mr Lee said Mr Wu explained the situation in Tianjin,Shenyang and Dalian,which Mr Lee is due to visit today and over the next two days.

Many state-owned enterprises (SOEs) are in north-east China,where Tianjin,Shenyang dan Dalian are. Mr Wu,when he was vice-premier,oversaw the restructuring of SOEs.

Mr Lee said Mr Wu talked about the possibilities and advantages of restructuring the SOEs,as well as the difficulties.

" He thinks that they are over the hump,the most difficult parts done already." said Mr Lee,adding that his discussion with Mr Wu helped set the context for his own visit to North-east China.

With Mr Jia,Mr Lee said they had a " good exchange of views " on " among other things,the Taiwan situation" He said Mr Jia briefed him on the cross-strait situation and the moves China has been making in this regard.

" I explained to him our position and our interest in a peaceful resolution of the issue "Mr Lee said.Asked by a reporter about a Singapore-China free trade agreement ( FTA ),which Mr Lee discussed with Chinese Premier WEn Jiabao two days ago,Mr Lee said the issue was not discussed yesterday.

He said Mr Wen had said he supported an FTA and feels it is the right direction to move towards in the long-term." We have to consider the methods and steps in order to start the bilateral FTA negotiations and (China ) would like to begin the methods and steps..as soon as possible " Mr Lee said.

He said Singapore is ready,and " when the Chinese are ready we will move " .." I think they have some concerns internally,they have some concerns for their regional strategy for economic cooperation."

He also said Singapore companies must make their way to China earlier than other companies to " navigate (their) way around the environment."

" So that as ( China ) opens up,you already have a headstart and an advantage " he said.

Before his meetings with the Chinese leaderships,Mr Lee visited the Beijing Planning Exhibition Hall,where he watched two videos and viewed models on past,present and future Beijing.Later he visited the National Grand Theatre,which under construction.The theatre is expected to be one of the world's best when it is completed around the end of this year.

Mr Lee began his weeklong official visit to China on Monday,his first since taking over the premiership last August.He is accompanied by Singapore officials and a delegation of 33 businessmen.

.: Forum Diskusi Budaya Tionghua dan Sejarah Tiongkok :.

.: Kunjungi website global : http://www.budaya-tionghoa.org :.