http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20070327.F05

Do we truly embrace unity in diversity?
Opinion and Editorial - March 27, 2007

Evi Mariani, Amsterdam

I never thought I would experience it on a street in Amsterdam; that
all-too-familiar taunt Cina, pronounced like the English China. But it did
happen to me and a Dutch friend as we walked down a street through the center
of this multicultural city. The two of us do look like we come from China, as
the name-caller thought. We both have Chinese backgrounds: I am a
Chinese-Indonesian whereas she is Dutch with parents who came from Hong Kong to
the Netherlands decades ago.

I was surprised by the incident but I also found it hilarious, due to the low
-- at least, I thought -- likelihood of experiencing name-calling not on a
street in Bandung or Jakarta but somewhere in West Europe.

Unlike me, who laughed at the incident, my friend did not see the funny side of
it. She, who was born and raised in Holland, told me she hated such
name-calling, which she had apparently experienced many times.

"In big cities like Amsterdam, the name-callers are usually not Dutch (she
means white Dutch). But in Maastricht (a small city where she grew up) most of
them are (white) Dutch farmers, we call them farmers although they are not
really farmers," she told me.

Later, I realized that if the same thing happened to me in Indonesia, my
reaction would be more or less the same as hers. I would take it seriously and
be slightly hurt, because if it happened in Indonesia, the experience would not
be a one-time funny incident in a foreign country, in other words, not
something you would share with your friends, laughing over it while sipping
coffee or knocking back beers. Like her, I think I would be presented with
something like a lifetime problem -- a commitment instead of a one-night stand.

This incident made me think more about migration and ethnic negotiation between
migrants and their "hosts" around the world, well, at least in the Netherlands
and in Indonesia. How different the negotiation process is and how similarly
painful is the struggle, especially on the migrant side with the exception of a
few cases like the American and Australian continents.

One thing I found out in the Netherlands is that the negotiation process
between migrants and their hosts is no easier than anywhere else in the world.
In Holland there are ethnic groups that are considered "problematic" like the
Turks and the Moroccans and there are those who are "invisible", like Asians.

This invisibility misleads the public to think that Asians have no identity or
citizenship problem in Holland. When the Dutch public talk about migrants, or,
in Dutch, allochtone, they are mostly referring to Turks, Moroccans and
Surinamese.

Dismissing the Asian group as a non-issue, I think, is a mistake. There is the
notion that so long as the allochtone keep out of trouble, as most Asians do,
there will be no serious problems, no discrimination, no conflicts. This
suggests the "problematic" ethnic groups should stop making problems -- like
maintaining their relatively low-level of education, asking for a mosque, or
being poorer than the rest of the population -- if they want to be welcomed
with open arms that is.

Indeed, compared to the "problematic" ethnic groups, Asians are well-off, fare
better in education, contribute less to crime statistics and hardly ever ask
for a particular worship place. However, still, not all members of the host
society appreciate this low-profile approach.

"Sometimes Dutch people say ni hao (how are you in Chinese) to me on the
street. They say it's a polite greeting. But I know better, it's mocking," my
friend once told me.

This is only one example of how Chinese people feel they are not really welcome
in the Netherlands. There are other problems like the glass ceiling issue in
some workplaces where it is difficult for Asians, like other allochtone, to
reach the top.

This is not to say the hosts are the bad guys and the allochtone the innocent
victims. On the other hand, this story also says the host society is no
welcoming angel and the allochtone are not exactly having a picnic. Both sides
have to work to achieve an ideal multicultural society.

However, I have noticed one good thing about Holland; there are efforts to
address the problems that come with a multicultural society. The murders of Pim
Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh pushed the Dutch people to see they have problems;
the murders led to hostile reactions from many Dutch people but, on the other
hand, this hostility caused the Dutch to question the sincerity of their
tolerance and subsequently paved the way for dialog and efforts to make the
multicultural society really work. Their first step is to admit that both
sides, host and migrants, have contributed to the problem. I see this first
step as crucial in setting out on the path to a genuine multicultural society.

I have not seen this first step taken collectively in Indonesia, which people
and national figures always say is a "tolerant nation", "open to differences"
and "Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Unity in Diversity) works well". The anti-Chinese
riots in 1998? Blame them on a conspiracy theory, and anyway,
Chinese-Indonesians are aloof, an attitude tolerant people cannot tolerate.

Religious conflict in Maluku? Blame it on political interests and, again, think
up another conspiracy theory. Before the "provocateurs" incited the conflict,
Christians and Muslims there lived side-by-side, without any prejudice or fear
of each other.

Once again, Indonesians are tolerant; conflict arises only when their tolerance
is pushed to the limit -- like the Dayak people's tolerance and openness being
pushed to the limit by years of exposure to the coarseness and the exclusive
economic circle of the Madurese in Borneo.

I'm getting tired of hearing this widely believed notion of tolerance and
openness, the I'm-kind-as-long-as-you-please-me tolerance and
I-won't-bother-you-as-long-as-you-are-not-demanding openness. Why don't we
admit it, just be honest. We are not tolerant. We fear differences.

We don't like it when the members of our religious congregation are influenced
by the followers of other religions. We don't like seeing our hometown being
invaded by strangers who become, day by day, more prosperous than ourselves. We
are annoyed by the gospel singing from the house next door or by the adzan from
the loud speaker of the mosque behind our house.

Let's just say it: To Chinese-Indonesians, Christians, Papuans, Hindus, those
who have communist grandparents, and other minority groups, we apologize, but
don't ever run for presidential office. It would be useless and would never
happen -- at least not in our lifetimes.

I will take the initiative: I have such problems. And I think you do, too. We
are all guilty as charged. Now, let's sit and talk and act. I have the strong
feeling that we, as a nation, can overcome these problems, together.

The writer is a journalist with The Jakarta Post who is pursuing a master
degree in Urban Studies at Universiteit van Amsterdam

Kirim email ke