Title: Share knowledge at  Buddhi Base

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

Messages

1.

Karwa Chauth

Posted by: "L.u.c.c.h.a" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   notorious_cyber_cop

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 pm (PST)

*Karwa Chauth 2006 is on October 10, Tuesday*

*It is said that in a village , seven brothers and one sister was staying
with their parents (money lender). The sister was youngest among them.
That's why everybody adored her.*
When she was 10 or 12 years of age they married her. After marriage on
first karwa chauth, she came to her mother's house. Her mother-in-law
affectionately sent sargai for her. She put mehndi on her hands along with
her mother and bhabhis (brother's wife) and did sargai in the morning before
sunrise and kept nirjal fast (without taking water).
By the evening the brothers got worried that how can their small sister
live without food and water till night. They consulted among themselves and
decided that we will create artificial moon for our sister.
Two brothers went to the forest and burnt cowdung coal. The other two
brothers went home and said let's go sister the moon has risen. All her
bhabhis (brother's wife's) kept quite. Sister said "let's go Bhabhi the moon
has risen, lets worship the moon and offer ark (water is offered to the
moon) to it. All the Bhabhi said "So early only your moon could have risen,
You go."
She was not only young but also simple hearted, she really thought
everyone's moon rises separately.
She hurriedly took the pooja material to the terrace. There in the forest
one brother was standing with a sieve in front of the cowdung coalfire, so
from distance she thought that the moon is rising from behind bushes.
She offered her worship and ark to the moon .As soon as she started eating
Puya's, she received a message from her in laws that her husband has become
seriously ill suddenly.
On hearing this, the Girl's father and brothers along with her rushed to
her in law's house. There her husband was seriously ill. Every body was
worried.
Hakim (auyarvedic Dr.), Doctors were called but nobody could understand the
illness.
Then the family enquired from priests and Astrologers. They told them that
this has happened because the girl has eaten puya's, after seeing the
artificial moon. Now the only solution is that till the next year karwa
chauth, the girl take good care of her husband, then keep fast on Karwa
Chauth and exchange karwa with Gaur Maata and make her say "le suhaagan
karwa le","de suhagaan karwa de". Then her husband will be well and will
live long. On hearing this, the girl decided to take good care of her
husband for one year.
Next year Karwa chauth arrived, her mother sent sargai for her. As per the
tradition, she did sargai and kept fast. Her mother also sent material for
baya, karwa and money.
In the evening, all married ladies dressed up wore chunari, making
preparation for the pooja, she waited to exchange karwa with Gaur Maata.
When the first Gaur Maata arrived. The girl held her feet and pleaded her
" O'Gaur Maata, Please exchange karwa with me."
After lot of pleading Gaur Maata sat with her and said
"Sister of seven brothers karwa le",
"Jo bhukhi naa reh sake (who can't stay hungry) karwa le",
"Jo payasi naa reh sake (who can't stay thirsty) karwa le",
"Jo Chalni meh chaand dakhe (One who see moon in sieve) karwa le."
She begged her again and again to say "Le Suhaagan Karwa Le" Gaur Maata
said, "I won't say this. My other sisters will come, you make them say." And
after saying this, she went away.
After some time 2nd Gaur Maata came and she also went away saying what the
earlier one had said. In this way they came one by one when the ninth Gaur
Maara came, the girl was worried. When she begged her again and again and
held her feet, then Gaur Maata said," when my youngest sister will come, you
ask her , I will not say. My sister is scary looking but good at heart,
don't let her go, make her say it."
After some time 10th Gaur maata came. She had dark complexion, had big
teeth, horrible face and was wearing lot of jewelry. When she heard the
small girl pleadings, she sat down with her to exchange karwa and like other
Gaur Maata's said
"Sister of seven brothers karwa le",
"Jo bhukhi naa reh sake (who can't stay hungry) karwa le",
"Jo payasi naa reh sake (who can't stay thirsty) karwa le",
"Jo Chalni meh chaand dakhe (One who see moon in sieve) karwa le."
The girl fell on her feet and said "O' Mother please forgive my mistakes,
Please say "Le suhaagan karwa le". If you will say this , my husband will
live. I will always worship you. Please bless me.
On girls repeated pleading, Gaur Maata felt pity for her and said-Let it be
so and said "Le suhaagan karwa le" and the girl said "de suhaagan karwa de".
Then, the same thing was repeated by both of them in reverse order. When
they said this ten times Girls husband was well again. Everybody touched
Gaur Maata's feet".

— L.u.c.c.h.a™ <http://funnymails.a-host.info/>
2.

Anxiety, Anger and Abusive Tendencies – The Ills of Modern Life

Posted by: "John Kimbrough" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 pm (PST)

Anxiety, Anger and Abusive Tendencies – The Ills of
Modern Life and Living

“Provide new guards for their future security” – The
American Declaration of Independence

This last week seems to have been as disturbing and
depressing as any week in these modern times.

We had the President of the United States and his
advisors accused of deception and outright lying by a
famous journalist, a congressmen accused of making
sexual overtures to an underage boy, and the execution
style murder of five young girls in a rural
schoolhouse in Pennsylvania.

Again, all of this took place in a country and among a
people who like to or tend to think of themselves as
somehow being a great democracy or somehow more
enlightened then the rest of the world.

We can only be thankful that a majority of Americans
do not engage in or condone such actions but if one
does look at the assortment of crimes that are and
have been committed over the years, it is pretty
obvious that a number of people in America have lost
their way.

It seems that the ills of modern life, those being
anxiety, anger and abusive tendencies to oneself and
others are manifesting themselves quite strongly among
the Americans.

This is both unfortunate and sad because the American
people and The United States have given the world and
humanity a great many things that are to be treasured
and made life better and more enjoyable for all.

Of course, some would question whether we really need
to watch television or play on the computer each day
to the extent that we do and if these things really do
improve our lives in the long run.

If we look at The American Declaration of
Independence, we will find that the founding fathers
who had great wisdom and insight into the human
condition and experience wanted us to be on guard
against those things that would harm our security.

The security referred to was not only an external one
but an internal one.

Yoga and Buddhism tell us that those things that can
do us the strongest short - term harm and long - term
damage are not things external but states of mind and
consciousness within.

They will also tell us that it is the uncontrolled
growth and manifestation of these internal states that
leads to the problems among men and in the world, so
that greed and lust for individual desires becomes
something that can grow into conflict between men and
countries.

The same holds true for things such as ill – will,
delusion, aversion, attachment and egoism, that being
that they not only hurt us but lead to greater ills
for all mankind.

Anxiety, anger and abusive tendencies to both
ourselves and others may correctly point out what are
those things that we deal with or cause conflict so
often in modern life, but it is easy to see how they
are rooted in the very defilements and hindrances that
Yoga and Buddhism call our attention to, those being
things such as sensual desire, ill – will, anger,
egoism, clinging to life, aversion and attachment.

What Yoga and Buddhism suggest is that we understand
what those things are that are creating problems and
conflicts both within ourselves and with others and
when they do arise, be mindful of them, observe them
and learn and grow from this experience, instead of
blindly following or acting on them.

This is not an easy thing to do, especially when we
are caught up in a daily schedule and routine that is
hurried, hectic and one that perhaps we feel
resentment or anger to and about.

It can also be difficult for us to find new ways that
we have little or no doubt about bringing into our
lives and making time and effort for.

Having been involved in the teaching of Yoga for a
number of years, I have found, as other teachers of
Yoga have, that it is easier and more comfortable for
people to read a book, chat with their friends, watch
a movie or drink a glass of wine then to sit still and
watch themselves for a short period of time each day
or likewise bend and twist the body in ways that
improve its functioning and performance.

The world and the individuals in any country, culture
and society will continue to suffer from anxiety,
anger and abusive tendencies to themselves and others
more in the coming years, as the climate changes, the
threat of war hangs over us, and water and oil
resources become scarcer.
It is easy to see that we as both individuals and
mankind need to make an effort to work on ourselves at
this time in history and our life so that we live a
life that is both simpler and more compassionate.

Yoga and Buddhist teachings can bring us to such a
state and also provide new guards for our future
security.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Yours in Yoga,

John

http://mail.yahoo.com

3.

DID I MARRY THE RIGHT PERSON?

Posted by: "L.u.c.c.h.a" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   notorious_cyber_cop

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 pm (PST)

*DID I MARRY THE RIGHT PERSON?*

During one of our seminars, a woman asked a common question.
She said,"How do I know if I married the right person?"

I noticed that there was a large man sitting next to her so I said, "It
depends. Is that your husband?"
In all seriousness, she answered "How do you know?"

Let me answer this question because the chances are good that it's
weighing on your mind. Here's the answer.

EVERY relationship has a cycle. In the beginning, you fell in love with
your spouse. You anticipated their call, wanted their touch, and liked
their idiosyncrasies.

Falling in love with your spouse wasn't hard. In fact, it was a
completely natural and spontaneous experience.

You didn't have to DO anything. That's why it's called "falling" in
love... Because it's happening TO YOU.

People in love sometimes say, "I was swept of my feet." Think about the
imagery of that _expression_. It implies that you were just standing
there; doing nothing, and then something came along and happened TO YOU.

Falling is love is easy. It's a passive and spontaneous experience. But
after a few years of marriage, the euphoria of love fades. It's the
natural cycle of EVERY relationship. Slowly but surely, phone calls
become a bother (if they come at all), touch is not always welcome (when
it happens), and your spouse's idiosyncrasies, instead of being cute,
drive you nuts.

The symptoms of this stage vary with every relationship, but if you
think about your marriage, you will notice a dramatic difference between
the initial stage when you were in love and a much duller or even angry
subsequent stage.

At this point, you and/or your spouse might start asking, "Did I marry
the right person?" And as you and your spouse reflect on the euphoria of
the love you once had, you may begin to desire that experience with
someone else. This is when marriages breakdown. People blame their
spouse for their unhappiness and look outside their marriage for
fulfillment.

Extramarital fulfillment comes in all shapes and sizes. Infidelity is
the most obvious. But sometimes people turn to work, church, a hobby, a
friendship, excessive TV, or abusive substances. But the answer to this
dilemma does NOT lie outside your marriage. It lies within it. I'm not
saying that you couldn't fall in love with someone else. You could.

And TEMPORARILY you'd feel better. But you'd be in the same situation a
few years later. Because (listen carefully to this):

*THE KEY TO SUCCEEDING IN MARRIAGE IS NOT FINDING THE RIGHT PERSON; IT'S
LEARNING TO LOVE THE PERSON YOU FOUND.
*
SUSTAINING love is not a passive or spontaneous experience. It'll NEVER
just happen to you. You can't "find" LASTING love. You have to "make" it
day in and day out. That's why we have the _expression_ "the labor of
love." Because it takes time, effort, and energy. And most importantly,
it takes WISDOM.
You have to know WHAT TO DO to make your marriage work.

Make no mistake about it. Love is NOT a mystery. There are specific
things you can do (with or without your spouse) to succeed with your
marriage.

Just as there are physical laws of the universe (such as gravity), there
are also laws for relationships. Just as the right diet and exercise
program makes you physically stronger, certain habits in your
relationship WILL make your marriage stronger. It's a direct cause and
effect. If you know and apply the laws, the results are predictable...
you can "make" love.

Love in marriage is indeed a "decision"... Not just a feeling.

— L.u.c.c.h.a™ <http://funnymails.a-host.info/>
4.

Lunar Letter: Beyond our Grasp

Posted by: "Rob McBride" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   rhmtoo

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:22 am (PST)

Lunar Letter

Beyond our Grasp
www.inspire.com.ve/lunar/2006_10_full_version.htm

We can reach beyond our grasp. To achieve objectives which are readily available does not require great effort. To be valiant we can take risk and go beyond the comfortable and convenient. When we require more of ourselves than anyone else, we begin to create our desired destiny.

Robert Browning wrote: “A man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?”

When we reach for the stars, at least we won’t end up with a fist full of dirt. The challenge in life is not to exist from day to day, rather to create, forge and determine our direction and our destiny.

History has shown those who reach great heights are not those who have been given everything on a silver platter, rather it is those who take what they have been given and make the best of it. While it is quite easy to wallow in self pity each time a difficult situation arises, our challenge is to confront conflict and institute a plan of action to achieve a solution.

Instead of enduring, suffering, or simply tolerating times of trouble, we can rise to the occasion and become better as a result. When we stretch beyond comfort and convenience, we establish a foundation which allows our imagination and creativity to soar with the eagles rather than slither with the snakes.

More of the same always produces more of the same. Reaching for the stars will produce a different effect which, while not always desirable, will at least allow us to evaluate and adjust to a new reality which may lead to a new beginning.

It is not circumstance, rather our reaction to it, which creates our reality. When we reach Beyond our Grasp, we establish a powerful process to create our fate and fortune.

It's the Bounce that Counts!

© 2006 Rob McBride
All rights reserved
October

********************************
To see the full versions with images:

English: http://www.inspire.com.ve/lunar/2006_10_full_version.htm
Spanish: http://www.inspire.com.ve/espanol/luna/2006_10_version_completa.htm
Portuguese: http://www.inspire.com.ve/portugues/lua/2006_10_versao_completa.htm

Contact us to inspire, motivate and train your team,

Rob McBride
[EMAIL PROTECTED]com.ve
www.inspire.com.ve
Tel: + 58 212 985 7096
Cell: + 58 414 328 6411
It's the Bounce that Counts!

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Mail

Get on board

You're invited to try

the all-new Mail Beta.

Y! Messenger

Talk it up - free!

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuddhiBase
http://www.buddhibase.org

To subscribe, send an blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BuddhiBase Team (Muthu Veerappan, Mohamed Nisar & Vivekhanandam)