Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Martin Schulze wrote:
> > This was not intentional by the author, he tried to use tempfile(1) to
> > create the temporary filename.  However, due to a thinko, the name was
> > hardcoded into the script.
> [...]
> > +#NNTPactive=\`tempfile -p active\`   #"/tmp/active.\$\$"
>
> So now you're using tempfile? This usually yields an easily

No, but now we're using tempfile in a proper way.  In the original source
code it was used like:

        NNTPactive=`tempfile -p active`

that lead into this code in /usr/bin/newsgroups

        active=/tmp/activea98b82

This was hardcoded and predictable, thus very bad.  Now the program
/usr/bin/newsgroups contains this line:

        active=`tempfile -p active`

which will use /tmp/active9292s for the first call and /tmp/active9x92y
for the second call.  tempfile will also check if the file exists and
use a different name otherwise, and will create the file so it can
be used by scripts later on.  This is ought to be safe.

> predictable filename, for which the same exploits hold. Just keep an
> eye out for the last PID issued, and OK, this time you might need to
> flip a link (provided that tempfile indeed refuses to return a file
> that is currently symlinked.)

It does refuse.  However there is a small chance that it only
does this in Debian, but I don't hope so.

Regards,

        Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.