On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Anonymous wrote:

> Ooh, those pesky NXT records.  Like I process those every day.
> Fascinating read in RFC 2535, but suppose I don't have any NXT
> records in my own zones, under what circumstances will my DNS server
> commit the sin of "the processing of NXT records"?  In other words,
> are all of us vulnerable (even caching-only name servers if so, I
> imagine!), or only people with NXT records?  This makes a big difference!

Caching-only servers are also vulnerable.  The NXT record is no different
that any other DNS record in this case.  If someone is able to make your
server fetch a maliciously-constructed NXT record, it will cause problems.
A query to a caching server will force the server to send a recursive
query, which makes the caching server vulnerable.

Brian