----- Original Message -----
From: "Microsoft Security Response Center" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Dinos Pastos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Microsoft Security Response Center" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 10:17 PM
Subject: RE: Microsoft - Personal Web Server Extended UNICODE Directory
Traversal Vulnerability

> Hi All -
>
> Personal Web Server is, of course, not intended to host web sites on the
> Internet.  It's only intended to be used in protected environments such
> as home networks and the like.  If you're hosting an Internet site, IIS
> is the appropriate product to use.  Regards,

I Never said that I used Win9X with PWS to host a Website... I am trying to
point out that Win9x users that installed PWS on there machine (either just
to see what it is) can be exposed to this hole...

I am sure  that alot of PWS users are out there, not as profesional servers,
but as testing machines...

A quick ip ranged port scan on port 80 on my local ISP showed over 100 PWS
servers running with the default HTML PWS uses...

This means that users install PWS without even using it...

A Windows Update would be nice...