Hi again,

>>bios 5.1 has the problem to reboot the router after nmap scan.

I hadn't seen any such effect, but that might have been due to the fact
I've installed the latest bootimage right from the start - a habit, I
guess.

>>new versions halt the complete system. to get it work again, you have
>>switch the power button on/off.
>>
>>i seems that it depends on the count of simultanous threads scanning
>>against
>>the
>>router. not all nmap scans reboot or halt the router.

Not in this case. If you read my last mail containing the workaround,
you'd know it was due to a faulty (or better, incomplete) implementation
of the pptpd. It cannot process an incoming SYN flagged TCP packet and
consequently locks the machine up by consuming 100% CPU time.

Considering this, it's quite logical not all nmap scans cause a
lockup, since e.g. Null and FIN scans do not issue packets with the SYN
flag set. If you have licensed the VPN software, the pptpd is fully
functional and you're not going to encounter any of the problems.

BinTec has confirmed they're going to publish a new firmware image with
a _really_ disabled pptpd.

>       which firmware release do you use on x1200 and x4000 exactly ?
>       what's about 5.1.6P10 (for x4k) ?

Installed right from the start.

>       the last one i used here (x1200, isdn/dsl, firmware 5.3.1)
>       does not seem to have this problem...

I don't think you can compare the two directly. While all Bintec
routers I've seen so far provide a more or less similar UI, details of
the OS and feature implementation appears to differ a bit (at least
that's my impression from f***ing around a little).

>       which kind of scan do you made ? nmap parameter ?
>       please gimme more details...

Usually my first go is: nmap -sS -v -O hostname

>>i think the problem why bintec isn't fixing it, is that this company
>>is
>>nearly
>>ruined.
>

>       i really don't think so...

Neither do I. While it's widely known that BinTec ran into some
financial problems during the last business term, they seem to do
pretty well at the moment. I'd say they were a bit delayed with the
release of their new products, but I don't think they're going down big
time. Especially their xDSL stuff seems to sell quite well and
consequently wins tests - that's what made me buy the X4000 ;o))

Cheers, Jan
--
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -