> Eh, you can see where it came from though. Design bugs like this are
> absolutely miserable to fix (see how we'll never get rebinding out of the
> browser) and letting identical IP's script against eachother lets an awful
> lot of legitimate traffic through while blocking almost all attacks.
>
> I'm not saying it's a preferred design, but let's reserve "horrible" for
> things that don't have quite the obvious thought process behind them.

"Horrible" in the sense it had significant consequences for the safety
of all Internet users, for at least a decade (ever since HTTP vhosts
became reasonably popular, which must be what, late 90s).

I don't really question the thought process - although it's
interesting to see that almost all attempts to redefine / reinvent SOP
led to significant issues over the years. This is not merely the fault
of plugin vendors, by the way - the incompatibility between DOM SOP
and cookie "SOP" pose some very interesting and underappreciated
problems for many classes modern web apps. And it's certainly not
unique to SOP, too:

http://lcamtuf.blogspot.com/2010/10/attack-of-monster-frames-mini.html

Anyway...

/mz