From: Michal Zalewski [mailto:lcam...@coredump.cx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:24 PM
To: J. Oquendo
Cc: Luigi Auriemma; bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in some SCADA server softwares

> Analogy: Car owner has his car speed up ending up in almost near
> catastrophe. Car owner goes to media outlets condemning the
> manufacturer: "How could you be so reckless! Thousand of lives..."
> Reality: Car manufacturer was never made aware of the issue. How do
> you propose a manufacturer fix an issue?

Yes, the discussion definitely needed a car analogy...

The author decided to follow a particular route, probably not out of malice,
but because he believes that his responsibilities to inform the public outweigh
the responsibility to assist the vendor. You wouldn't do the same, but you
haven't discovered these bugs.

Unless your view is that you would rather not know about about security
problems at all, than see a disclosure mode you do not agree with, I do not
think it's fair to lash out against the reporter; and it's not particularly
fitting to do so on BUGTRAQ.

/mz