In a message dated 9/2/2004 9:20:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Total painting bill for my (wife's) 2 story 95% shingled house is $24,000.  Really should be done every five years, but I stretch it out to ten. It's been about 12 since I had mine done, and it's needed it for several years, too. Have to replace front wooden gutters now, all have been previously patched, fascia board going in spots now, too, G-d knows what else going on behind.  Fix it and get it over with.

One carpenter said "if it was my house, I'd use this new Azek stuff", kind of a plastic thing, integrally white (not clear how to conceal nail holes). For what? A deck, or is he offering to reskin your entire house with this plastic shit that was invented last Tuesday?  Yeah, that would be a pretty cheap, alternative to spot repairs, alright.  Go for it.  Better living through chemistry and all that. Stuff's probably made of recycled Clorox bottles, so it's good for the Ecostructure. Just try to get rid of the scrap, or stand downwind when God strikes it with lightning. Went to local lumberyard (the one where the poodle becomes inexplicably panic stricken in plumbing and electrical sections).  Smart dog.  You should listen to him/her/it more often. Looked at Azek.

Thinking of $24,000 painting bill it ... looked pretty good.  Think again, Einstein.  The only alternative to doing things the right way is to do them wrong.  Call it differently if you want, but you know the truth. The only alternative to using the right materials, which will be durable and give you good value for your money, is inferior materials.  If you don't believe that, look at all the houses around you where knotty lumber has been used instead of clear, and where the nails are rusting.
 Skeptical-appearing lumber guy said only complaints he's had is that, over long sections of clapboard, it expands in the heat.  So that's all he's heard since he started selling it last week, huh? Must be pretty good stuff. God knows real wood isn't subject to thermal expansion over long runs. [May have undermined my argument there, but so what.] Advise you have wife's entire house reclad in this plastic shit, and be the first one on your/her Damn Female Island to experiment with it.  Be sure to let us know how it performs over the decades, years,  months, weeks, and days to come. If it lasts that long.  Or if paint applied to it lasts that long.  Or sticks at all.  We'll look forward to every whiny, self-flagellating word.

So, what's wrong with it? Try it and find out.  Sucker.

Christopher  Mr. Flexible (and peeling)