In a message dated 3/15/2005 8:20:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
When stretching fence out on the Nebraskan prairies my dad and I would
cut posts from the osage orange trees along the shelterbelts. Osage is
so resistant to decay each post would outlast 6 or 8 holes, so we were
always digging more post holes than cutting new posts. As long as we
were at it, we would dig a couple extra post holes along each line of
fence. At the end of the week we'd haul these extra holes home and stack
them up like cord-wood out behind the barn. It was no trouble because
they weighed next to nothing. After a few years there would be enough
that we wouldn't have to dig any holes for a whole season. This worked
well until one year we had about a hundred of them stacked up there. We
went to pull out a few, the stack let go and they all rolled down across
the pasture. We've been tripping over those post holes ever since.
Wait a minute.  Just a gol darned minute.

Nebraska is flat.  So there was no "down" for the post holes to roll.

Gotcha.

Ralph