Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:05:30PM -0700, David Daney wrote:
>> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>>> I got the controlling tty errors as a result of the following in
>>> inittab:
>>>
>>> ::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>>>
>>> Do you mean that this is wrong? (According to the documentation, it is an
>>> implicit rule if inittab is missing.)
>> It is incorrect.  You should use something like this:
>>
>> ttyS0::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>>
>> That will open the shell on a device that can be a controlling tty
>> (/dev/ttyS0).
>
> Why shouldn't you be able to use console (or ""), so that it follows the
> console wherever that is? (ttyS0, ttyS1, or a real linux virtual
> console).
>
> Like I said, the documentation says the above is an implicit rule if you
> have no inittab. The code appears to agree.

You have a choice.

If you want to suppress the bothersome message and be able to send
SIGINT to a process by pressing a key (typically ^C) do it my way.

If you want the behavior obtained by doing it your way, change nothing.

If you want all this documented somewhere, patches are welcome.

David Daney