 > # ls -l /dev/null
 > crwxrwxrwx    1 root     root       1,   3 Feb 14 07:04 /dev/null
 >
 > # gcc file.c -o /dev/null
 > /tmp/ccopqxnU.o: In function `main':
 > file.c:(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `doesnt_exist'
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 >
 > # ls -l /dev/null
 > ls: /dev/null: No such file or directory

okay.  educate me.  why _shouldn't_ gcc remove the output file in
that case?  if gcc removes the target of -o in all other cases,
then, in my opinion, /dev/null shouldn't be special.  if it's
important that gcc be able to do "test runs" without creating
output, then there should be a "test run" option that says,
"don't create an output file".  or maybe "-o -" should be
implemented, to allow writing to stdout, so it can be redirected
to /dev/null.

but gcc shouldn't be burdened with understanding the special
needs of the developer for specific file arguments.  running
builds as root is like performing on the high wire without a net.
you need to understand the limits of your equipment.  should gcc
also be told that it should refuse to write output when given "-o
/dev/hda1", if /dev/hda1 is a mounted filesystem?  how smart do
we expect our tools to be?

paul