>> While I'm at it, would be nice with an /etc/mdev.d/ dir where packages
>> like qemu could install an /etc/mdev.d/kvm file and similar.
>
> sounds like a reasonable config option and should be easy to support.  patches
> welcome ;).

Put in mind ability to use envdir. In essence, our mdev.conf can be
easily converted from strongly tabulated records to a reduced script,
which sets environment to match against. Then envdir might be the tool
to fetch those records fast.

Moreover, a filesystem hierachy itself could be very good tool for
storing mdev rules. Imagine:
/etc/mdev.conf/
   match 644 -- contains matching regexp
   name 644 -- contains new device name
   oncreate 755 -- script to be run at creation
   links/* --  symlinks to point to new device
Easily extensible. Though seems to look like ancient hotplug.d/, the
level is new.

What do you think of that, Mike?

--
Vladimir