On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 05:56:07PM -0800, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 01:55, Harald Becker wrote:
> > Hallo Rob!
> >
> > > Why do we have unnecessary leading whitespace?  What happend to small and
> > > simple and doing no more than absolutely necessary?
> >
> > As far as I remember the original (K&R) behavior of wc was always to
> > produce leading whitespace (fixed format output). Only the newer
> > versions of gnu wc striped of this leading whitespace. That lead to
> > several shell script failures that had to be fixed during the last years.
>
> ... and now we have script failures because _new_ scripts expect _new_
> output format  >>:(  "Progress" sometimes looks like pointless churn.

True enough.  But, there were two failures here:
1) Extraneous whitespace from wc, that *everybody* had to script around.
2) Failure to script defensively, so you didn't care how much whitespace.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.