On 06/14/2011 12:07 PM, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> Just saying I'm interested in this too.
>
> Our bootchart shows we spend a lot of time in modprobe [1], but since
> the boot times were already "good enough", I haven't looked into it in
> detail. My cursory googling showed that module loading in general is
> slow, a fact people like Alan Jenkins and Carmelo Amoroso have tried to
> change, but nothing is upstream yet.
>
> Is the goal to be compatible with util-linux binary files too?

This is probably a different issue you have.

Generally modprobe gets accounted as using time for:
 a) deciding what to load (reading the alias files)
 b) actually loading the kernel module from disk; usually simple read()
but might involve decompressing the modules
 c) invoking the system call so kernel starts using the module

For Ed, the problem was that the system kernel is compiled with most
modules built-in statically. This means that the system is generating
lot of "modprobe" calls that actually end up doing nothing: most modules
are built-in or not available. In this case the modprobe is doing just
(a). While busybox modprobe takes only some milliseconds to do this, it
piles up to lot after system has tried to execute modprobe 100 or more
times.

For you, based on the bootchart, it looks like modprobe is actually
and (c). It's probably taking most of time in (c) which means kernel is
working and initialising the module and possibly hardware. It's probably
non-trivial to try to improve your situation.

- Timo