Harald Becker wrote:
On 02.08.2011 22:16, Ralf Friedl wrote:
What is the problem with locale-specific characters?
Portability is the problem. Especially if tar files of such users and
untar it on other systems those "none-portable" user names may produce
trouble. Sometimes serious trouble. I've had to deal with such trouble
in past. Trouble witch stupid users produced by delivering tar archives
with such user names.
Tar never creates user when extracting. It should just treat whatever comes as a string and pass it to getpwnam, which should also not care and use something like strcmp. I would just call that tar program broken.

... just to throw that in. Beside this I like to use User Names with
German Umlauts (ÄÖÜäöü) as regular German names may contain those. And I
did this successfully on Linux/GNU systems for years ... but know about
incompatibility and try to handle properly.
I wouldn't want busybox to to tell me what names I can use just to avoid potential problems with some obscure system that I don't connect to anyway.

Ralf