On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Bradley M. Kuhn <bk...@ebb.org> wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote at 06:15 (EST):
>> Some of the arguments from the "other side" found in that thread make
>> sense. We are possibly a bit too aggressive when we try to force
>> people to comply with GPL on other projects too, not only on bbox.
>
> I'd like to point out that many of the "stories on the other side" are
> second-hand accounts.  Obviously, as the person who directly handles
> most of the GPL enforcement for BusyBox, I can confirm there is no one
> with first-hand experience on the "other side" commenting on the LWN
> thread, nor on Matthew's blog post.

Tim Bird says this:

Posted Feb 1, 2012 6:52 UTC (Wed) by tbird20d (subscriber, #1901) [Link]
No. You misunderstand what "unrelated products" means. It means all
the TV sets and digital cameras, which we properly release GPL source
for. What I don't want is for some trivial mistake by GPL amateurs at
some ODM supplier to some obscure product group to result in SFC
having review and veto authority over our major Linux-based product
lines. This is simply unacceptable.
What I'm saying is that the legal risk far outweighs the value of busybox.

Posted Feb 1, 2012 17:55 UTC (Wed) by tbird20d (subscriber, #1901) [Link]
...Sony has standards in place that product teams are supposed to
follow for GPL compliance. Unfortunately, I can't be sure that every
team is following them, or won't make a mistake. In particular, I can
't be sure of this for sub-contractors. Sub-contractors may claim they
have given you corresponding source, but have not. It happens.
What is intolerable is having a 3rd party hold your entire product
line hostage, based on some issue with an unrelated product.

Posted Feb 1, 2012 19:31 UTC (Wed) by tbird20d (subscriber, #1901) [Link]
> That seems like an irrational fear, I can't imagine the copyright owner
> getting an injunction against or even pursuing code that you can trivially
> show the provenance and licensing for.
Well, since the SFC requests audit rights for all of a company's
products that include GPL, I don't think the fear is irrational.

--
vda