On 2/23/2012 7:59 PM, Laurent Bercot wrote:
You mean process 1. ;)

Right :-)  Whose idea was it to count from 1, anyway?

[ Side note : panicking when process 1 exits is a *very* silly thing
for the kernel to do. Process 1 exiting, instead of being forbidden,
should mean the end of the machine's life cycle, and the kernel should
either halt, reboot, or even kexec something else, depending on process
1's exit code. But that is totally off-topic. ]

I agree. But they probably have hard-coded assumptions about process 1 always existing in the process table or something.

Speaking of kexec though, that reminds me: if someone wanted to run an unknown distro (like from a iso image or something) and then clean up afterward, you could run your own init, start the distro as normal, receive its shutdown request, mount read-only, sync, etc, and then kexec into a new kernel with an embedded busybox to run a cleanup script.

You can also install a panic-kernel, to be kexec'd any time the kernel crashes. I think that's a pretty killer feature. In fact you could install the panic-kernel with the embedded cleanup script, and then deliberately exit from your init at shutdown ;-)

And none of this has the slightest thing to do with busybox. ;)
Other than that people who play with busybox are often trying to do hackish things like these :-) I felt obligated to answer since I had started into embedded linux with many of the same questions as the OP.

-Mike