> as said before, my needs are bound to getting the ip using dns as my usb
> drive imaeg is "closed" in the matter that I don't want edit the hosts
> file all the time.

 You don't have to have *only* busybox on your embedded box.
 Functionality that is not (yet) implemented in busybox can sometimes
be found elsewhere.

 You could download and compile djbdns ( http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html )
(you don't need to bother with daemontools and ucspi-tcp if all you
want is a command line DNS client) and just keep the "dnsip" binary,
which does exactly what you want. The binary is quite small.

 Guys, please remember that the point of busybox is to provide
lightweight implementations of stuff that is only available as a
GNU noodle plate. When lightweight implementations already exist,
adding an applet to busybox isn't so important.

--
 Laurent