Felipe Contreras wrote at 06:26 (PDT) on Wednesday:
> It doesn't matter how the GPL was designed, the GPL doesn't have
> precedence over the law, and the law doesn't allow a software license
> to change the nature of copyright law.

The GPL *doesn't* change the nature of copyright law.  It uses copyright
law to uphold principles.  Most Free Software developers I know don't
accept copyright law, as applied to software, as necessarily the
absolute best moral policy for software just because "it exists".  In
fact, I, like most copyleft advocates, find that copyright law, as it's
usually applied to software, actually harms users and developers.  I
also don't believe we should accept a system as morally correct merely
because it exists.  Copyleft uses copyright law to implement a different
moral policy: that's the famous hack of copyleft itself.

> And I believe differently, and so do a lot of people, which is why we
> have the law that we have.

There are many historians and researchers who believe we have the
copyright law we have mainly because the law has not properly adapted
from the age of the printing press to the digital age.  Indeed, in many
ways it's akin to other types of laws that seemed to make sense at the
time they were first created, but today aren't so much.

> I believe I've said to you all I can say, but it still looks like you
> think the desires of certain people have precedence over the law,

I never said any such thing.  You've obviously misunderstood something I
said if you believe I'm saying that.

> [you think] that the _intent_ of the GPL is what matters, where in
> fact, what matters is what the law allows

You're conflating issues.  The intent of the GPL *does* matter in
explaining why some copyright holders disagree with you and chose to
enforce the GPL to maximum level that copyright law allows.

> Therefore, users have no rights, they have privileges, and developers
> that don't enforce the GPLv2, are not eroding the rights.

I'd say it this way: "Users should have an inalienable right to copy,
modify, and redistribute software.  Sadly, no law gives users these
rights by default, but fortunately, some enlightened copyright holders
chose to use a copyleft license which uses the legal infrastructure that
exists (copyright law) to de-facto create those rights for users.  Those
copyright holders furthermore often chose to enforce their copyrights so
as to ensure those users have the rights that the law doesn't otherwise
give them".

> That is the case *right now*,

What I said is the case right now too.  Note that *both* your statement
and mine mix fact and opinion together, and therefore ...

> I wish you could agree on that.

... neither of us will likely agree with the other.

For my part, I don't wish you would agree with me.  I wish you'd accept
that copyright holders who enforce GPL are acting within their legal
rights to enforce the license, even if you don't like that they do.  You
talk a lot about developer's legal rights under copyright law, but you
are also very critical of those who chose to use those legal rights to
the maximum with the goal of helping out their users.

But, as I've been saying, I think this thread is now *waaay* off topic
for the BusyBox list.
--
   -- bkuhn