28.02.2013 04:22, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
[]
> The history in a nutshell: "In 2008, Antonio Diaz released lzip, which uses a
> proper container format with checksums and magic numbers instead of the raw
> LZMA data stream, providing a complete Unix-style solution for using LZMA.
> Nevertheless, LZMA Utils was extended to have similar features and then
> renamed to XZ Utils"[3].

Oh.  I remember that 2008 year (or a bit before) when kernel folks discussed
which
format to use for kernel.org archives and leaned towards lzma, and I pointed out
that it does not have any checksums.  I guess it was a starting point for xz and
lzip.

For some reason I haven't heard of lzip at all until now.  I remember when xz
come
out, I looked at it and noticed its complexity and lack of stable format,
exactly
as you describe, but that didn't rang any bells for me and eventually it become
widely known and accepted format.

So, I become curious how lzip behaves.  And I immediately gave it a very quick
try.

CPU: AMD AthlonII X2 260, 3.2GHz (2 cores)
file: 1Gb (1073741824 bytes), an image of a small linux virtual machine.

 .lz:  273684804, real 11m53.112s, user 20m30.563s
 .xz:  266670056, real 11m8.190s,  user 10m45.835s

This is the default compression level.

WOW.  So, 2-thread plzip is about TWO TIMES solwer than single-thread xz when
compressing, making parallel plzip on 2 cores to be as fast as xz.  lz produces
slightly larger result.

Are you sure the stream and compression algorithm are the same? :)

Thanks,

/mjt