On 03/30/2013 01:58 PM, Ralf Friedl wrote:
The kernel is never compiled with an initramfs. The kernel is often compiled to use an initramfs, if the boot loader supplies one.

Actually, check kconfig for newer kernels. They have an option to automatically create the cpio archive from a directory of your choice and build it directly into the kernel image. I used this for a while because it seemed convenient, but then decided I'd rather decouple the kernel from the initrd so I could mix & match (and do things like init=/bin/sh). I imagine it makes life easier for people with limited bootloaders, or people making advanced use of kexec.

-Mike